Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My inspiration from Melbourne- Asia-Pacific Summit on Climate Change

I strongly believe in community voice that pursue for a common goal and to achieve some thing that could really make a change- a positive change in the lives of human being or at least advocating for what they deserve and need. With a common voice, which even comes from different culture, a change is possible. That’s what I learnt from the Asia-Pacific summit on Climate Change in Melbourne during July 11-13, 2009. I was amongst the 261 people from nineteen different cross culture who sat together and come up with a common voice to advocate for the issue of global climate crises- an utmost need and a “not to ignore” issue of the present and future generation of this planet.

I was proudly representing Pakistan in the summit and I had a lot of inspirations from Melbourne that generously hosted the event and set a great example of collectivism and finding a path of change through the participants from nineteen countries of Asia-pacific region. Mostly heart touching, the honorable Al Gore- former vice president of United State of America was there in the summit with his high level of motivation for making a common voice among the all participants and mobilizing them to advocate in their own capacities on the issue of climate crises.

My inspiration began when I started my journey from the hot summer season of Pakistan and in a day time I entered into the freezing cold weather of Melbourne. These thought continued till my way back to Pakistan as I was again in the hot summer. Interestingly this first observation of different weather pattern at a same time in two different regions clicked my mind to think more about the time when life is impacted by a sudden disaster that hit some area and people are not able to cope with the situation. My inspiration continued further as I meet with new people and new friends all welcoming each other, particularly The Climate Project (TCP) team, proudly hosting the summit and bringing together all the people on same plate form.

The word Climate Change was although not a new word for me but with different experience sharing by friends and experts and the discussions on findings of modern science regarding concentration of Greenhouse Gases like CO2, Methane, Nitrous Oxide etc by human activities, particularly after the industrialization, I was inspired to take a firm decision in my heart by that time to advocate for “Act Now” slogan of AL Gore with his positive view of “Glass Half Filled”.

As I was going through the magic of continuously showing commitment by the summit’ organizers and participants, my inspiration to work on climate change issue went high as by having different slide shows and presentation, I was recalling the vulnerabilities of my own country “Pakistan” as well as Mansehra district where I live and work. I was continuously thinking about the realities of climate change effects on my own communities and my beautiful country such as melting glaciers in the north, increasing dry seasons in lower parts of the country, flashfloods in hilly areas, changing monsoon weather, decreasing water level every where, changing pattern of rains and heavy floods in plain and lower areas. How can I forget the unexpected 1992 flood and the 2005 massive earthquake that ended thousands of precious lives and valuable assets and means of livings, of course not? The journey of my inspiration continued by all the new discussions and new scientific information to reach my communities who are not aware of all these causes of climate change but ignorantly denying the causes created by human beings by their own.

Talking about the environmental pollutions and contributions of different countries in this pollution through emission of Greenhouse Gases and ultimately giving a devastating effects of climate change, particularly on poor countries, I was of the view that a road to Copenhagen must be a well defined and well analyzed road by all the world nations. An utmost action is required to reach a common agreement where countries polluting the environment and emitting Greenhouse Gases put a control on it while the poor and most vulnerable countries are supported in terms of their increased resilience to climate change and improved livelihoods for better living standards.

With an inspiring message of Al Gore, I like other countries’ participants made a commitment to become a part of global awareness raising on climate crises and advocating for the ACT NOW measures to prevent our planet from the increasing effects of devastation. I reaffirm my commitment to reach my communities, media, friends and colleagues and government representatives to share the alarming situation. And with my high level of inspiration from Melbourne, I am also sure that Pakistan with its available limited resources and capacities would play significant role in this most important challenge for present generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment